The Wildman Mine was located in the vicinity of the city parking lot, east of Sutter Creek's current Post Office Today. The mine was named after proprietor, W. T. Wildman
In the late 1880's, the Boston-based Wildman Gold Mining Company purchased the mine and reopened it. Here is a photo of the mine workers circa late 1890's.
This photo of the Wildman Mine workers holding large hammers known as doublejacks. This tool was used for hammering drills into the rock into which blasting powder, and later dynamite to blow apart the rock.
The Wildman home was also general store. The home burned down in 1862, so he relocated to Main Street near Nickerson. This home was located in the same spot as Hanford and Down's store in 1854.
Information, photographs courtesy of the Amador County Archives, The Historical Marker Database, and the Chronicling America Database