AmadorGold Home and Info Amador CommunitiesOur Online ToursAmador County OutdoorsTravelers DestinationsOur Guestbook
Latest Sutter Creek, California, weather

   SUTTER CREEK AREA TOURS
  • AMERICAN EXCHANGE HOTEL
  • CENTRAL EUREKA MINE
  • KNIGHT FOUNDRY
  • LINCOLN MINE
  • MAHONEY MINE
  • MONTEVERDE STORE MUSEUM
  • SUTTER CREEK AREA MAP
  • WILDMAN MINE









  • Sutter Creek, California

    Odd fellows Hall here from 1859-1865. Fire destroyed three story building and made way for present Oddfellows and Masonic Building


    Historic American Exchange Hotel Tour

    American Exchange Hotel. Hotel burned down in 1865 fire, leaving annex. Two stories of present building rose in 1867, third level added in 1897.The Bellotti Inn, whose first two stories were formerly known as Nixon's Hotel, The American Exchange Hotel, and The American House, dates from 1867. There has been a hotel on this site since 1853, when Dwight Crandall and his partner Jonathan Jones bought two lots and put up their American House. Besides providing shelter, the building was home to a stage stop, express office, bar, restaurant, and post office.


    In 1856, Crandall sold the lot north of the hotel to John Keyes and a man named Clute, who put up a brick building in 1858. This brick structure survived the fire of 1865, alas, the hotel did not. On May 5 of 1866, Dr. Fifield bought the hotel's lot for $200. He then commenced building a new, two-story brick hotel, which he named the American Exchange Hotel. Sometime during the 1890's, the Keys and Clute brick building became an annex to the hotel. The third story was added in 1896.


    Brignole Building. North section constructed around 1856. Later bought by Brignole who used lot south of here to erect today's structure.The Brignole Building features extensive use of native stone and the familiar iron doors and shutters of Gold Rush architecture; it is one of the largest and oldest buildings in Sutter Creek. The northern part of the structure was built in 1859 by a man named Molinari. Brignole purchased Molinari's store and the lot south of it, upon which he constructed the rest of the building which remains today. He originally used the structure for a general store and some of the old bulk bins, counters and shelves are still in use.

    Check out the Side Street



     

    All graphics created and owned by Ray and Cheryl Herndon

    CONTACT US