Sutter Creek Grammar School, Sutter Creek, California
The original schoolhouse was built in 1856 which was located on School Street (now called Anna). Children as far away as plymouth and Latrobe attended the school. The school burned to the ground in 1870 which was assumed as arson based on the differences in teaching African American students.
The school you see today was built in 1871 by a community funded project of $10,000.00. This school remained open well into the 1960's.
This photo showing the Sutter Creek Grammar School prior to 1896 and the addition of the wings in the rear of the building. The district raised $5,000 in bonds to complete the work. This photo also showing the large student body at that time which ranged from 200 to 300 students.
This photo showing the early schoolhouse with the students playing outside.
With the addition of the wings on the rear building, and a new porch this photo in 1905. The Amador Record wrote: "The educational facilities of Sutter Creek rather excel those usually provided in mining communities". Looking at the Headframe of the Wildman Mine it shows this was a true mining community.
Information, photographs courtesy of the Amador County Archives, The Historical Marker Database, and the Chronicling America Database