American Exchange Hotel, Sutter Creek, Amador County
Two gentleman posing with buggy in front of the American Exchange Hotel C. 1890
The American exchange Hotel established as early as 1851 as the American House, sits at the base of Little Humbug Hill. M.D. Nixon was the proprietor of the American Exchange Hotel and Tavern Bar from 1894 until 1932.
M. D. Nixon on the right stands at the cash register ready to assist a customer coming off the stagecoach. C. 1902
Excerpt Amador Ledger - Sept 21,1900
Landlord Nixon, Mrs. Nixon, Henry Hayden and other members of the force at the Exchange Hotel, Sutter Creek, were kept pretty busy caring for their guests on the day of the Republican County Convention. The Exchange Hotel ranks with the best interior hotels in the State.
The American Exchange Hotel Bar showing the bartender then often called (mixologist) ready to pour a cold beer to stage travelers. C. 1902
Information, photographs courtesy of the Amador County Archives, The Historical Marker Database, and the Chronicling America Database