A. Menke stands in front of the hoist works of the Mahoney Mine. The timbers you see were used to shore up the Mahoney Mine.
Mahoney mine crew posing as they are getting ready to ascend into the mine. The skip shown is almost in positon to dump ore into the ore bin. Although some mines had ladders built into the timbers of the shafts, most miners used the skips to ascend into the mine.
The Mahoney Mine, along with the Wildman Mine was sold to the Lincoln Consolidated Mining Company in 1906. This photo is showing the Mahoney Mill in disrepair after its abandonment early in the last century
The Mahoney Mine property which was originally owned by Alvinza Hayward, who sold it to Jerry Mahoney in the 1850's for $1,000. Jerry Mahoney had some immediate success and quickly sent for his four brothers in Ireland to assist him in the mine. They all acquired consumption and died one after the other in the few short years.
Tuberculosis was popularly known as consumption for a long time.
Information, photographs courtesy of the Amador County Archives, The Historical Marker Database, and the Chronicling America Database