The Fort in the 1800's was very different than today. It had over 50 buildings that by today have burned down. The only
original building still standing is the Rotchev house. Most of the people lived outside of the fort. The only people to live inside were the Russian managers, their families, and some soldiers.
By 1840, otters were getting scarce, almost extinct. Crops were not growing well because of gophers and fog. Life at Fort Ross just
wasn't going well for the Russians.So in 1841, they sold Fort Ross to John Sutter.