Incorporated September 24, 1908 after purchasing the Ione & Eastern Railroad on August 22, 1908 at a forclosure sale. Actual service began January 1,1909.
Most of the company's freight was in the form of lumber from Martell. The line, for the most part, was a steep 3.0 percent or better upgrade from Ione and a Southern Pacific connection. Fortunately, most loads were downgrade.
For many years the Amador Central served its short line customers from Ione, at the Southern Pacific interchange yard, to Martel, California. At first they ran steam
like the #5 shown here (former SP #2040). Later they went to using Baldwin S-12 diesels.
All graphics created and owned by Ray and Cheryl Herndon